Write an analysis, 4-5 pages in length, of the gap between current and desired performance, with respect to the provision of safe, high-quality patient care.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze quality and safety outcomes from an administrative and systems perspective.
- Identify a systemic problem in an organization related to adverse quality and safety outcomes.
- Propose specific practice changes within an organization that will improve quality and safety outcomes and bridge the gap between current and desired performance.
- Prioritize proposed practice changes.
- Competency 2: Determine how outcome measures promote quality and safety processes within an organization.
- Determine how proposed practice changes will foster a culture of quality and safety.
- Competency 3: Determine how specific organizational functions, policies, processes, procedures, norms, and behaviors can be used to build reliable and high-performing organizations.
- Determine how a particular organizational culture or hierarchy might affect or contribute to adverse quality and safety outcomes.
- Justify necessary changes to particular organizational functions, processes, and behaviors that correct or mitigate adverse quality and safety outcomes.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse audiences, in an appropriate form and style, consistent with applicable organizational, professional, and scholarly standards.
- Communicate analysis data and information clearly and accurately, using correct grammar and mechanics.
- Integrate relevant and credible sources of evidence to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using APA style.
These resources address various aspects of safety and quality that will help you with your assessment.
- Melnyk, B. M., Gallagher-Ford, L., Zellefrow, C., Tucker, S., Thomas, B., Sinnott, L. T., & Tan, A. (2018). The first U.S. study on nurses’ evidence-based practice competencies indicates major deficits that threaten healthcare quality, safety, and patient outcomes. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 15(1), 16–25. doi:10.111/wvn.12269
- Marvin, V., Kuo, S., Poots, A. J., Woodcock, T., Vaughan, L., & Bell, D. (2016). Applying quality improvement methods to address gaps in medicines reconciliation at transfers of care from an acute UK hospital. BMJ Open, 6(6), 1–11. doi:http://dx.doi.org.library.capella.edu/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010230.
- Unruh, L., & Hofler, R. (2016). Predictors of gaps in patient safety and quality in U.S. hospitals. Health Services Research, 51(6), 2258–2281. doi:10.1111/1475-6773.12468.
- Integrated Ethics: Improving Ethics Quality in Health Care.
- Vila Health: Quality and Safety Gap Analysis.
- This interactive exercise introduces the concept of gap analysis, which may help you with the assessment.