- Provide a 2 – 3 page (at least 1000 words) summary of your service learning field experience with the Houston Food Bank (HFB). Be sure to include at least the following elements:
- How are the following terms similar and how are they different: service learning, volunteerism and community service
- A brief overview/history/mission of the community partner (Houston Food Bank or HFB)
- What project were you assigned at the HFB and what were your duties?
I was assigned to an offsite location at Burbank Middle school. My duties were to prepare different bags with fruits as oranges, carrot, and butternut squash and some bags with pantry items like lentils, rice, turmeric powder. then , helping with curbside distribution by placing orders in client vehicles. The people that were coming to get the food were parent or close relative to the clinic patient with low income.
- As you reflect on the service teams with HFB, give consideration to the following terms reviewed in your course. Specifically, each student should define the term and provide examples of how the person was involved in it during the service learning experience
I was with another person and I was taking care of putting fruits in the bag and the other person was taking care of pantry items and place them in the bag…In order to go faster.
Communication were very easy and fluide. We know what we had to get done and if any of us had A question , we will ask the coordinator.
- In closing, the student’s final paragraph should reflect and describe how this experience has influenced his or her world view(e.g. enhanced sense of personal values and civic responsibility)
This experience Made me realize that we shouldn’t take anything for granted. It is a blessing to be able to have food on your table. What you see as meaningless can change somebody’s life.